Robert F. Elliott
Robert F. Elliott is a Founding Member and Senior Partner of Bartlett LLP. He is a graduate of SUNY, Downstate Medical Center with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing. He worked as a Registered Professional Nurse, Hospital Risk Manager and Safety Officer until he earned his Juris Doctor degree from Brooklyn Law School. Since then, he has dedicated his career to the defense of health care providers and facilities who are sued for medical negligence matters or require regulatory and administrative representation before State and Federal Agencies. In the past decade, he has also undertaken to defend another group of fine professionals – municipal employees such as First Responders and Law Enforcement Officers and the municipalities which employ them.
Mr. Elliott is recognized as a preeminent member of the Bar by Martindale Hubbel. Since 2011 he has been consistently named a “Top Lawyer” in New York by the N.Y. Times Magazine as well as a “Super Lawyer” in Thompson Reuters Super Lawyer magazine. He has hundred thousands of defense matters over his career with scores of defense verdicts in high exposure matters. He is a member of Swarthmore’s Who’s Who – Worldwide, exemplifying his leadership and achievement as an attorney. He is a founding member of the New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers and proudly serves as its 10th Judicial District Director. He is an Adjunct Associate Professor at Hofstra University Graduate School of Health Sciences where he teaches Health Law and Medical Ethics.
Mr. Elliott regularly teaches attorneys at continuing legal education seminars. He consistently earns high marks for his legal acumen, wit and humorous presentations. He also teaches health care providers at continuing medical education seminars in Healthcare Ethics and Medical Liability issues. He has dedicated decades of service to his community as a volunteer firefighter and critical care EMT. He has started several not-for-profits and serves as an officer on the Boards of various charities.
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D. 1989
- Downstate Medical Center, B.S.N. 1981
- Seton Hall Law School Certificate in Healthcare Compliance, October 2013
- New York State Bar Admission 1989
- United States District Court Eastern and Southern Districts of New York 2000
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers – Founding Member and 10th Judicial District Director
- Nassau Suffolk Trial Lawyers
- The American Health Lawyers Association
- The New York Metropolitan Chapter of the American Association of Nurse Attorneys, Inc.
- January 2014 Article on Defense and Preparation Of The Medical Provider At Deposition
- 2017 - Medical Malpractice in New York, Fourth Edition, co author
- Practical Applications of the Frye Hearing in Medical Malpractice Actions.